— “To All My Friends Who Went Before”
To all my friends who went before,
the ones I carried as far as I could,
the ones I left without a proper goodbye
because goodbye was always just too hard for me.
Hello was easy.
Hello was my language.
Goodbye was the part I never learned.
It hurt to much.
Remember when —
a patchwork of people who have shaped me,
stitched from smiles, my sometimes sharp tongue,
laughs, time, kindness,
passing through,
carrying as many as I could,
until they began to drop
and this whirlwind stepped forward
taking whoever she could mange to hold.
As I moved through turbulent times,
trauma has been a huge part of my life.
Acquaintances and people who didn’t really know me
felt good to be around for a moment — a kind of fleeting ease.
But only my circle moved with me, growing as I did.
I don’t always remember names,
(I ALWAYS NEED TIME TO ROLL THROUGH MY ROLODEX BRAIN)
but I never forget faces
or kind actions.
If I’ve forgotten,
it’s not because you weren’t relevant —
I just need a prompt or two.
But thank you for being you, and a part of my journey.

Comments
Post a Comment