A Small Life, Repainted is a collection of poems about the quiet devastation and small survivals that shape a woman’s life
TITLE PAGE - (potential poetry pamphlet)
A Small Life, Repainted
Poems by Alison Friday
CONTENTS
1. Soon It’ll Be Our Turn
2. The Irony of Life: How I Lost My Garden
3. Why Families Fracture
4. Showing Up Anyway
5. One Small Corner
CHAPBOOK - ORDER
1. Soon It’ll Be Our Turn
(A poem about home, control, and the moment a metaphor becomes truth.)
2. The Irony of Life: How I Lost My Garden
(A reflective piece about overwhelm, longing, and the gardens we can’t keep.)
3. Why Families Fracture
(A generational truth telling about women carrying the emotional weight.)
4. Showing Up Anyway
(A poem essay about ND life, menopause, humour, and surviving the day.)
5. One Small Corner
(A quiet reclamation of joy, daisies, and the smallest possible hope.)
Soon It’ll Be Our Turn
Every morning I leave the driveway
and tell myself I’m lucky to have one.
I look across the road
at the house with the fresh paint,
the crisp garage door,
the neat electricity boxes
lined up like soldiers
who know exactly who they belong to.
And I whisper,
soon it’ll be our turn.
Last summer we watched the painter
stroke colour into someone else’s life.
My husband took his number,
said he’d call,
said we’d be next,
said we’d get our moment
of looking cared for.
So I let myself imagine it,
not green, not their colour,
but something soft,
something that sparks joy
when I pull out of the drive
and when I come home again.
Yesterday I said it out loud:
“Soon it’ll be our turn.”
He looked at me blankly.
“What do you mean?”
“You gave him my number,” I said.
“He said he’d get back to us this summer.”
And then the truth fell out of his mouth
like a stone dropped in water:
“Oh, he did. I just ignored it.”
Conversation over.
Dream over.
Hope over.
And suddenly the metaphor
stood there in the driveway with me.
A house without maintenance
falls quietly apart.
A marriage without care
peels at the edges.
A life without tending
rots from the inside out.
What I once mistook for love
was often control.
The coercion faded,
but the power stayed.
Nothing moves unless he says so.
Nothing changes unless he approves.
Nothing grows unless he allows it.
And here I am,
still staring at someone else’s painted door,
realising I’ve been waiting
for permission
to feel looked after.
But houses don’t heal themselves.
Couples don’t fix themselves.
Women don’t bloom
in the shade of someone else’s decisions.
So I stand in the driveway,
finally seeing the truth:
There is no home without love.
There is no “us” without care.
There is only me now,
learning to repaint my own life
one quiet stroke at a time.
The Irony of Life: How I Lost My Garden
I used to think a garden was a simple thing—
soil, seeds, water, sun.
But it turns out a garden is a mirror,
and mine showed me everything
I didn’t want to see.
The weeds came first,
creeping in quietly,
the way overwhelm does.
One day of not tending becomes two,
then a week,
then a season,
and suddenly the wild things
have taken the place of the things you planted.
I kept telling myself I’d get to it.
Tomorrow.
Next week.
When life calmed down.
When my head did.
When I felt like myself again.
But life didn’t calm down.
My head didn’t either.
And myself—
well, she was somewhere under the brambles,
waiting for someone to come find her.
People talk about losing gardens
like it’s a failure of discipline.
But sometimes it’s a failure of capacity.
Sometimes it’s a woman
who has been holding up too much
for too long,
and the garden is the first thing to go
because it’s the only thing
that won’t shout at her for dropping it.
I used to feel ashamed
when I looked at the mess.
Now I see it differently.
The garden didn’t die.
It simply grew without me.
It waited.
It softened.
It forgave.
And when I finally stepped back into it,
hands empty,
heart tired,
the daisies still lifted their faces to me
as if to say,
you’re late,
but you’re here.
And that is enough.
Why Families Fracture
People like to pretend families break
because of one big moment—
a fight,
a betrayal,
a single sharp thing.
But that’s not how it happens.
Families fracture
the way cliffs do:
slowly,
quietly,
grain by grain,
until one day a whole piece falls away
and everyone acts surprised.
It starts with the women, usually.
The ones who hold the birthdays,
the secrets,
the emotional weather.
The ones who remember who likes what,
who needs soothing,
who can’t be told the truth directly.
We are the glue,
but glue gets tired.
And when the glue cracks,
everyone blames the crack
instead of the years of pressure
that made it.
I used to think it was my job
to keep everyone together.
To smooth the edges,
translate the silences,
carry the weight of everyone’s feelings
like a tray of fragile things.
But the thing about carrying
is that eventually
your arms give out.
And when they did,
I realised something:
Families don’t fracture
because someone stops trying.
They fracture
because someone has been trying
for far too long.
And she finally puts the tray down.
Showing Up Anyway
Some mornings I wake up already tired,
as if the night did nothing
but hold my exhaustion in place.
The kettle feels heavy.
The light feels loud.
My own name feels like a task.
I move through the house
like someone wading through wet sand,
every step possible,
but none of them easy.
People think showing up
means being cheerful,
capable,
on top of things.
But sometimes showing up
is brushing your teeth
even though the mint burns your nerves.
Sometimes it’s answering one message
and ignoring five.
Sometimes it’s sitting on the edge of the bed
for twenty minutes
before you can stand.
Sometimes it’s laughing at something
that isn’t funny,
just to remind your body
what laughing feels like.
Menopause has rearranged me.
ND life has rewired me.
The world keeps asking for the version of me
I can’t be every day.
But here’s the truth I’m learning:
Showing up isn’t about being fine.
It’s about being here.
It’s about choosing to exist
in the room,
in the moment,
in the mess,
even when your whole body
is begging for quiet
One Small Corner
I can’t fix the whole house.
I can’t fix the whole life.
I can’t fix the years
that went sideways
while I was busy surviving.
But I can fix one small corner.
One shelf.
One drawer.
One patch of garden
where the daisies still believe in me.
I used to think healing
had to be dramatic—
a reinvention,
a transformation,
a rising from the ashes.
But sometimes healing
is a woman on her knees
pulling three weeds
and calling it progress.
Sometimes it’s choosing
a softer towel.
Sometimes it’s opening a window.
Sometimes it’s remembering to eat.
And sometimes
it’s standing in a tiny cleared space
that smells faintly of hope
and thinking,
This is enough for today.
This is enough to begin.

Comments
Post a Comment